Sunday, March 9, 2014

Director's Journal: Week 3



           This is week is my first week joining the course of The Art of Film Directing. At first I really wanted to join this course as one of my External Elective Course (EL). According to my Programme Structure, I’m supposed to take the EL courses during my 5th or 6th semester. However, due to some problems regarding our faculty’s registration system, I have no choice but to take my EL a semester earlier. That is the reason why I and few of my friends only started to take this course at week 3. Fortunately, there are still few spots left for us to take this course.


          During the lecture, we were told that the class already started learning on the basic of film directing which is based on the cyclical production model by Marcus Gillezeau (2004). Even though this week class is on the second part of the cycle which is the development phase, the lecturer which is Dr. Azalanshah did take a few minutes to recap on the lesson of previous week. This make me understand more on the basis on film directing.

          As I said before, this week class is on the second part of the cycle which is the development phase. Development phase according to cronological cycle is after the first part which is Concept phase. Under this Development phase, a proposal is created in order to be presented to potential investor in order to gain their trust on investing towards the project. A complete proposal would include a few things such as written proposal, synopsis of the project, budget, list of crews and cast, production and shooting schedule, and also a pilot. A pilot is an introduction presentation on what the project is about. It is also known as a ‘taster’ who gives the potential investor a short glance on what the project will be about.

           After the lecture, we are then required to watch a movie presented by Dr in which we are then required to write a movie review based on the particular movie we watch that week. This week, the movie that was by Quentin Tarantino named Kill Bill Volume 1.


         Other than the lecture and movie review, I was also informed that we need to form groups and prepare a project based on the type of video given. There are 4 types of videos given by Dr which are short film, commercial/advertisement, PSA (public service announcement), and also promo film. I was then invited to join the commercial video team.

        Besides having to attend lecture, I also are required to attend a session known production meeting in which we are meeting with the students who take the course of TV Production. I was also informed that the video project is the collaboration between the students of Film Directing and also TV Production. This week production meeting is about the presentation of project by each group. These presentations resembles the development phase that we were learning this week in which each group have to present their proposal which include the synopsis of the project, budget, list of crews and also the schedule of shooting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment